ATU Canada / ATU International
Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) is currently accepting applications for the position of Organizer assigned to ATU Canada. This position must be based in Toronto but involves significant field travel throughout Canada and, on occasion, in the United States. This position will have full-time internal and external organizing responsibilities, as well as administrative and operational responsibilities. Organizers assigned to ATU Canada report to the President of ATU Canada and the Directors of Field Mobilization and New Organizing.
Organizers play a lead role in the development, execution, and analysis of ATU Canada, ATU International, and Local Union campaigns. They are responsible for carrying out the national objectives as set out by the ATU Canada President. Organizers lead contract, political action, new organizing, and community organizing campaigns under the day-to-day supervision of senior ATU Canada and Campaigns Department staff.
Primary job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Articulating ATU Canada’s message to workers and allies
- Implementing ATU Canada’s national campaign strategies
- Developing ATU Canada’s communications messaging and infrastructure
- Assisting the ATU Canada President in day-to-day operations of the office
- Assisting in the development of effective mobilization and new organizing campaign plans to protect the integrity of public transit systems and improve the livelihoods of transit workers
- Investigating and identifying new organizing targets
- Identifying, recruiting, training, and developing Local Union leaders through one-on-one and small group meetings inside and outside of the workplace
- Organizing and leading productive meetings inside and outside of the workplace
- Organizing and executing large and small-scale actions such as picket lines, marches, rallies, pack-the-room actions and more
- Building workplace committees
- Conducting intense corporate, political, and industry-relevant research related to campaigns
- Training and supporting Local Union leaders and activists
Applicants must have:
- 1-3 years of experience in external or internal union campaigns or grassroots political campaigns
- A demonstrated commitment to trade unionism, social and economic justice, and equity
- The ability to inspire and motivate others to action
- The ability to respectfully work with and relate to people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- The ability to navigate complex interpersonal and organizational relationships
- Ability to work under pressure, independently, with limited supervision, in unfamiliar environments
- A valid driver’s license and the willingness to travel frequently and on short notice
- Proficiency in using MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Google Docs/Sheets, etc.
- Willingness to work non-traditional hours, including weekends and holidays, as needed
Top applicants will also have:
- Experience managing small and large groups of volunteers
- Proficiency in a language other than English, preferably French
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Highly-organized with demonstrable ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Strong computer literacy and familiarity with digital organizing using Microsoft suite, Zoom video conferencing, Unionhall, Squarespace, Action Network, New/Mode
- Salary commensurate with experience; generous benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance; commuter benefits; and generous vacation, holiday, and sick leave.
To apply, email your resume and three relevant professional references to Crystal Cadeau (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Women and people of color are strongly urged to apply. ATU does not discriminate in any of its programs, procedures or practices on the basis of age, color, disability, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or veteran status.
If you apply to this post because you saw it here, please mention that you saw the notice at the CALM Job Board on your cover letter.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com