Website Between the Lines
Between the Lines is a social movement press founded in 1977. We publish books that expose and challenge oppression in our society. We aim to amplify the struggles of Black, Indigenous, and racialized communities; migrants; women; Queer folks; and working-class people. BTL is proudly left-wing and the books we publish reflect our activist roots and our commitment to social justice struggles.
As a product of New Left radicalism, BTL embodies the cooperative and democratic ideals of its founders. BTL has no boss, no individual owner; we are run by four core staff members and a dedicated volunteer editorial committee. Decisions on what we publish are made by consensus. We publish books not to seek profit, but to archive and promote struggles for a better world, challenge the mainstream, and offer readers new perspectives on critical political issues.
Our press is situated in Tkaronto (Toronto), traditional Wendat, Anishinaabe and Haudenosaunee territory subject to the Dish with One Spoon treaty.
About the role
Between the Lines is seeking a Sales, Marketing, and Distribution Manager to market our books, manage our sales and distribution accounts, and contribute to the general administration of the press.
Normally we work out of an open-plan office space at 401 Richmond, a restored heritage building turned arts-and-culture hub in downtown Toronto. Right now we’re mainly working remotely, with occasional distanced visits to the office. When possible, we expect a gradual return to a hybrid model of remote and in-person work, so we are considering local candidates only.
This is a full-time permanent position at four days per week (Mon–Thurs). The gross annual salary is $45K per year, and this rate increases for cost of living annually each November. After completing a probationary period, the compensation package will include health and dental benefits, paid sick days, and four weeks’ paid vacation per year.
The start date for this position is August 8, 2022.
Some lifting of heavy boxes will be required in this position.
- Passionate about progressive politics and familiar with the types of books we publish and the wider political conversations they are part of;
Excited about the opportunity to work with activist authors and readers;
- Experienced in working collaboratively;
- Self-motivated and successful at managing your own labour in a workplace without bosses.
- Plan, budget, and execute comprehensive marketing and sales plans for all frontlist BTL titles;
- Create promotional and marketing materials, including seasonal catalogues;
- Write jacket cover copy / advertising copy for frontlist books;
- Track, analyze, and report on sales regularly;
- Prepare, distribute, and maintain accurate and robust metadata for frontlist and backlist titles;
- Pitch books and liaise with sales reps in Canada, the US, and the UK;
- Monitor and manage inventory levels with distributors in Canada, the US, and the UK;
- Attend sales conferences, trade shows, professional development sessions, and publishing industry events;
- Coordinate paid ad placements;
- Collaborate with the Production and Design Manager on cover art and reprints;
- Collaborate with the Publicity and Promotions Manager on both general and title-specific marketing activities and initiatives, including seasonal promotions, mailouts, Mailchimp newsletters, blog posts, social media, and external partnerships;
- Assist with grant-writing for provincial and federal grants;
- Participate in weekly staff meetings, as well as editorial committee meetings approximately six times per year;
- Contribute equally to the general administration and running of the press.
- Publishing industry experience;
- Proven sales/marketing/advertising campaign experience;
- Familiarity with ONIX metadata and basic HTML/XML;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs;
- Project management experience;
- Ingenuity, initiative, and enthusiasm;
- Excellent organization and planning skills;
- The ability to juggle competing tasks and demanding deadlines;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills;
- A post-secondary degree;
- Experience with any or all of the following: Biblioshare, BNC Catalist, Bookmanager, Edelweiss, CoreSource, Ebound,
- NetGalley, Mailchimp, BooksoniX, CMS, sales/inventory software.
- Nice to have
- Business administration skills;
- Graphic design experience;
- Grant-writing experience;
- Fluency in French.
These requirements are guidelines only. If you don’t satisfy every requirement or meet every qualification listed, but have relevant or transferrable experience that makes you a great fit, we encourage you to apply.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume as a single document in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, July 17, 2022. Please include “Sales, Marketing, and Distribution Manager” in the subject line. Interviews will be conducted over Zoom.
BTL is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, and particularly welcome applications from individuals from groups underrepresented in the publishing industry.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
If you apply to this post because you saw it here, please mention that you saw the notice at the CALM Job Board on your cover letter.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com