Website Toronto Metropolitan Students' Union
The Toronto Metropolitan Students’ Union (TMSU) is currently seeking candidates for a full-time permanent unionized position to coordinate the educational and social justice campaigns of the students’ union, and to supervise six of the Equity Service Centres. Salary for this position is $60,530 plus benefits as outlined in the collective agreement with CUPE 1281.
The Equity & Campaigns Organizer acts as the primary staff resource for the development and coordination of all educational and social justice campaign strategies as directed by the TMSU Board of Directors. The organizer also supervises, coaches and administers the operations of the six Equity Service Centres: Accessibility Collective, BIPOC Students’ Collective, Centre for Women & Trans People, the Queer Space, the SHIFT Centre and Trans Collective. The ideal candidate will understand the dynamics of supervising spaces that seek to empower and uplift marginalized communities and advance social justice, equity and anti-oppression throughout the organization.
The students’ union is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from diverse communities, including: First Nations, Inuit & Métis people, persons of colour, persons with disabilities, members of the queer community, trans people and women.
Note: The Toronto Metropolitan Students’ Union is an independently incorporated and autonomous from Toronto Metropolitan University.
- Assists in the development and implementation of equity and education campaigns, including the development of campaign materials, involving those issues related to but not limited to: anti-oppression, inclusiveness, and quality and accessibility of education.
- Responsible to coordinate all Coordinators working for the Equity Service Centres, and administers human resource applications, forms, timesheets and training.
- Develops and executes strategies related to the recruitment and retention of volunteers for campaign efforts.
- Ensures the coordination of campaign efforts with any external bodies or organizations, as directed by Management.
- Identifies equity training and development opportunities related to equity for the Board of Directors, staff and volunteers. Develops and ensures implementation of relevant training programs and materials to address identified needs.
- Assists in the development of budgets for the Student Action Committee, Sustainability Committee, Equity and Social Justice Committee and the Equity Service Centres. Ensures budgets established for these areas are adhered to.
- Assists and acts as a resource to the Student Action Committee, Sustainability Committee and Equity and Social Justice Committee and attends meetings as required.
- Researches educational issues and equity issues. Develops and maintains resource information on these issues. Assists in the development of fact sheets, briefs, backgrounders, and other research documents.
- Coordinates and assists with Equity Service Centres’ operations and activities, including but not limited to event coordination, campaign development and fundraising.
- Identifies and acts on opportunities for cooperation with TMSU and the Equity Service Centres on relevant campaigns.
- Coordinates promotions and awareness to elevate the profile of the Equity Service Centres.
- Coordinates adherence to the Equity Service Centres Policy and recommends to Management policies or amendments to policies related to education and equity issues.
- Supports Management in its hiring and training of part-time employees and volunteers involved in the areas of education, equity, and sustainability, including Coordinators, within the Equity Service Centres.
- Develops and executes strategies, at the direction of Management, related to the recruitment, orientation and retention of volunteers within the Equity Service Centres.
- Ensures adequate record keeping is maintained for each Equity Service Centres.
- Provides regular reports on fundraising, activities and level of participation of each Equity Service Centres to management.
- Recommends and initiates special projects related to the Equity Service Centres and/or campaigns of the students’ union, as directed by Management.
- Assists in the development of issues-based policies pertaining to equity, social justice, and access to education issues.
- As time permits, assists with other duties as assigned.
- Supervised by and reports to the Director of Programming.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL POSSESS:
- Post-secondary education in a relevant field of study, or an equivalent combination of education and 3-5 years of work experience.
- Experience working with an organization implementing successful advocacy, equity or social justice related events & campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability in event planning, project coordination of promotional initiatives, volunteer recruitment and retention.
- Experience with developing, overseeing budgets and conducting fundraising.
- Experience with supervision and coaching of part time and/or student employees.
- Significant cross-cultural awareness and understanding, as well as demonstrated experience in building strong interpersonal relationships with a wide range of students from diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge and work experience in equity and social justice issues for marginalized communities.
- Familiarity and knowledge of current post-secondary educational structures, anti-oppressive frameworks, accessibility legislation & equity-based issues within the university & community context.
- Superior oral and written communication including experience with conducting presentations, organizing trainings and conducting outreach preferably in post-secondary education or community based environment.
- Excellent organizational and time management and the ability to take initiative, develop collaborative projects & meet deadlines. The ability to multi-task and accomplish multiple goals simultaneously, while under pressure.
- The ability to be self-motivated and work independently.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter prior to 5pm on December 2, 2022
Subject: Equity & Campaigns Organizer Application
Please ensure it is in Microsoft WORD or Adobe Acrobat format.
The TMSU is committed to ensuring that the hiring and interview process is accessible. Should you require any accommodations throughout this process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHO ARE WE?
The Toronto Metropolitan Students’ Union represents over 36,000 full-time undergraduate students at Toronto Metropolitan University, in downtown Toronto. As the central students’ union on campus, the TMSU works to build campus life, advocate on behalf of its members, organize campaigns and initiatives, provide cost-saving services, and work with students across the province and country for a more affordable and accessible post-secondary education system.
For more information on the Toronto Metropolitan Students’ Union, please check out our website at www.yourtmsu.ca.
If you apply to this post because you saw it here, please mention that you saw the notice at the CALM Job Board on your cover letter.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com