Website Union Cooperative Initiative (UCI)
Creating an economy that works for people and the planet
JOB POSTING FOR UNION REPRESENTATIVE ORGANIZER & CO-OP DEVELOPER
Location: Vancouver, working out of our Chinatown office.
Remote work will be considered for qualified applicants
Contract: 10 hours a week
Additional hours will be available based on project and grant funding
Rate of pay: $38.00 with 10% in lieu of benefits
This is a unionized position working under collective agreement with the ACWU IATSE Local B778
Contract: 1 year with the possibility of extension
The Union Cooperative Initiative (UCI) is hiring a new team of part-time Union Representative Organizers & Co-op Developers (Union Co-op Organizers) to support the growing union cooperative movement in British Columbia.
The UCI is a new non-profit multi-stakeholder cooperative established in 2021 to support the development of union cooperatives as part of a solidarity economy in British Columbia.
Our cooperative builds an economy that works for all – by supporting the creation, incubation, and operation of unionized cooperatives that provide family sustaining and flexible jobs that are good for people and the planet, provide business opportunities for underserved communities, and are accountable to the communities we serve.
The UCI currently operates three main program areas: cooperative development services with value-aligned partner organizations, a worker training program that includes the delivery of the BCFED Organizing Institute, and Cooperative Incubation and support services.
The UCI was founded by the Arts and Cultural Workers Union (ACWU), BC Federation of Labour, IATSE Local 891, and MoveUP labour unions with support from Vancity Credit Union, Union Protein Project, Community Savings Credit Union, Victory Square Law Office, and the Alliance for Cooperative Development through the BC Cooperative Association.
The Union Coop organizing model was established in the United States a decade ago through a historic partnership between the United Steelworkers (USW) and Mondragon Cooperatives of Spain. We build on this success of Co-op Cincy and their member cooperatives and the Vancouver Artists Labour Union Cooperative (VALU CO-OP).
Under the direction of the Managing Director, the UCI is seeking three part-time Union Representative Organizers & Co-op Developers (Union Co-op Organizers) starting on 10-hour a week contracts. Additional hours will be available through project funding and grants.
Union Co-op Organizers will work a regular 8 hour weekday Tuesday to Thursday with flex hours between 8 am and 8 pm out of the UCI studio in Chinatown in Vancouver. An additional 2.5 weekly flex hours are included for bi-weekly evening UCI meetings and cooperative worker meetings. Availability for flexible evening and weekend work is required.
Each Union Co-op Organizer will support the development of 1-3 cooperatives annually in addition to supporting a distinct program area. Core program areas include Operations & Training, Development & Grant Funding, and Worker Outreach.
A passion for community development, dedication to social and economic justice, and interest in building a solidarity economy is required. These positions are one-year contracts made possible through operational funding from the Alliance for Cooperative Development and Vancity Savings Credit Union and will be extended should grant funding be renewed.
Familiarity, understanding, and support of the principles of labour unions and cooperatives is essential for success in this role.
A combination of education and experience in two or more of the following areas will be useful: the labour movement, cooperative development, community advocacy, electoral and political campaigns, and non-profit community organizations.
Although this position is a part of a team, this work is primarily self-directed and requires strong time management, scheduling and organizational skills.
A valid drivers licence and access to a vehicle or car share is required.
Additional spoken and written language skills are an asset.
Key responsibilities include:
- Recruitment, support, and development of the core worker organizing committees.
- Development of initial cooperative development project proposals.
- Development of initial project budgets.
- Development of initial core operational and business plans.
- Conduct regular co-op assessments.
- Assist in finding initial financing to launch new union cooperatives.
- Assist the worker committee in developing the memorandum of association and bylaws.
- Assist in the development and implementation of labour union partnership agreements.
- Assist in the development of the marketing and outreach plan for the new union cooperative.
- Liaise with UCI partners and members to grow support for the member cooperative.
Union Representative Organizer & Co-op Developer’s will have the support of a part-time administrative assistant for the day-to-day operations of the UCI and incubated cooperatives.
- File weekly progress reports with the Managing Director.
- Facilitate worker education and training programs to support the continued development of incubated cooperatives.
- Coordinate educational opportunities with partner organizations.
- Research and compile data on co-ops, sectors and industries, and areas for growth.
- Prepare meeting agendas and take meeting minutes.
- Develop policy recommendations for member cooperatives, government, and partner organizations.
- Develop operating budgets for program areas and incubated cooperatives.
- Develop monthly work plans and targets.
- Maintain detailed financial records and file bi-weekly reimbursement reports.
- Develop training materials and plans for worker organizing committees.
- Coordinate and deliver workshops to worker organizing committees.
- Identify training and education opportunities for worker organizing committees.
- Deliver presentations to external partners.
- Identify sources of funding for developing and launching new cooperatives.
- Maintain relationships with potential funders.
- Develop grant and sponsorship applications.
- Represent the UCI and member cooperatives publicly and to external stakeholders.
- Conduct outreach in support of the goals of the UCI and union cooperatives.
- Attend UCI general membership meetings and local cooperative meetings.
- Attend UCI member events, meetings, and conventions.
This is an office based position located out of the UCI Studio in Chinatown, Vancouver. Remote work within BC will be considered for qualified candidates.
WAGES AND BENEFITS
Workers at the UCI are covered under collective agreement with the Arts and Cultural Workers Union (ACWU), IATSE Local B778. Union Co-op Organizer roles start at $38.00 an hour and receive a 10% increase in lieu of vacation and benefits.
Please fill out an application and upload your resume and cover letter to https://forms.gle/v1DJpT6JzKkqjrpb6 or submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are due by 5 pm on January 10, 2023.
Only those candidates shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.
If you apply to this post because you saw it here, please mention that you saw the notice at the CALM Job Board on your cover letter.
To apply for this job please visit forms.gle.