Website Service Employees International Union Local 1
Union Representative II (GTA) – SEIU- Local 1
SEIU Healthcare is a union of more than 60,000 members who are frontline healthcare workers in hospitals, long-term care facilities, and homecare agencies in communities throughout Ontario. We advocate with our members by launching progressive member driven programs, adapting best practices, and encouraging new and innovative ideas. We strive to create a society where workers are valued and rewarded for their work. As a result, thriving workers have a greater opportunity to participate and lead in building healthy communities. We provide a strong voice through collective bargaining, labour relations, and political action to ensure frontline workers are heard and respected when decisions about healthcare are being made.
We are looking for individuals with a desire to amplify the voice of workers. If you are passionate about labour and social justice, share our values, and want to work toward changing the lives of workers, then a career with SEIU Healthcare is for you! For more information, visit www.seiuhealthcare.ca.
This position is full-time working at our Head Office in Richmond Hill, Ontario.
The Union Representative II delivers excellent member service and is responsible for all aspects of labour relations and member engagement in the workplaces they represent. These duties include the effective administration of collective agreements, contact negotiations, grievances, and other matters related to the employment relationship between our members and their employer. The position is also responsible to identify and coach member leaders to become more active and capable members of the union and to support our member education and mobilization programs in support of our broader organizational strategy to strengthen a wider movement for social justice and political participation across our membership.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan, develop and execute initiatives to encourage member driven unit events, actions, and campaigns to resolve unit
- Coach stewards to lead various meetings and support SEIU Healthcare in early identification and resolution of unit issues.
- Support organizational political strategies by recruiting member leaders and promoting and participating in political actions and events.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders (employers, members, internal departments, OLRB, arbitrators etc.).
- Facilitate and coordinate General Membership Meetings, Steward Meetings, Labour Management Meetings, Site Visits, and Departmental Meetings in assigned units.
- Lead collective bargaining for assigned units while working with the Research Department in accordance with established standards, procedures, and timelines.
- Manage the grievance process, working toward early resolution in accordance with individual collective agreements and internal processes.
- Analyze and interpret complex contract and legislative
- Resolve issues within units through interpretation and enforcement of contracts and related legislation.
- Work in collaboration with administrative support to ensure unit files, unit events, negotiation files, records, reports, and grievance collateral is entered in UnionWare.
- Facilitate attendance management and return to work meetings in assigned
- Ensure timely submission and preparation of detailed files for interest and rights arbitrations.
- Ensure required committees in assigned units have SEIU
- Complete and submit monthly unit status reports and monthly expense
- Ensure legal and other billing accurately reflects events as they occur and are submitted per
- Manage and record expenses made during regular business using a company credit card/gas card, in accordance with SEIU financial policies.
- Other duties as
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (or equivalent)
- Formal post-secondary education in a related field or equivalent workplace experience an asset.
- Minimum three (3) years labour relations experience, preferably in a labour union
- Maintain valid driver’s license and
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Working knowledge of relevant legislation (ESA, OHRC, WSIA, OHSA, OLRA).
- Ability to interpret collective agreement language and apply to specific
- Ability to negotiate first and renewal collective agreements and administer those agreements through their life cycle.
- Ability to process grievances through referral to
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent writing, and verbal skills.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking
- Strong conflict resolution skills and the ability to deal with tense
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal
- Time management
- Building and maintaining trust relationships with all
Written applications that detail your qualifications and experience should be submitted to email@example.com by 4:30pm on Friday January 29, 2021. Salary and other terms and conditions are in accordance with the field staff collective agreement. Please note that the Employer reserves the right to transfer or assign staff anywhere within the SEIU Local 1 Canada jurisdiction.
SEIU Healthcare thanks all applicants for their interest. We are committed to diversity in our workplace and encourage applications from all visible minority groups, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities among other self-identified diverse groups. We also provide accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources. Please note that only individuals who are selected for interviews will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org