The University of Western Ontario Faculty Association (UWOFA) is a certified union which represents over 1600 part-time and full-time faculty, librarians and archivists at the University of Western Ontario under two collective agreements. UWOFA’s purpose is to advance the professional interests of faculty and academic librarians and archivists at Western. Located on a beautiful campus in London, Ontario, the University of Western Ontario is a research-intensive university with an international reputation for scholarship, sustainability and the student experience.
A. OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To develop, implement, manage and evaluate communication, engagement and advocacy strategies and campaigns as identified by the UWOFA Board across a variety of media platforms, for a variety of audiences and purposes. Specifically, will work with developing, and mobilizing faculty, librarian and archivist leaders. The individual in this position works in consultation with and reports to UWOFA leadership most notably the communications and mobilization chairs.
B. SPECIFIC ACCOUNTABILITIES OF THE JOB
- Coordinate, project manage, and lead communication and engagement strategies and campaigns that are developed with UWOFA leadership including planning, drafting, vetting, and carrying to final Executive approval, all UWOFA communications and outreach strategies, media releases, advocacy campaigns and other messages for the media and UWOFA members.
- Provide communication and engagement support by educating and training UWOFA leaders as well as staff on how to successfully develop volunteer member organizers to engage members, and build solidarity, through workshops, education events, conferences, event planning and the creation of relevant materials.
- Assist in developing a strong network of local stewards or equivalent positions to work with faculty association leadership in administering the collective agreement and building solidarity within the faculty association.
- Write, produce conceptual designs, edit, and project manage the brand identity and creative elements for UWOFA in all areas of digital and print publications including but not limited to: websites, social media, FAQs, presentations, emails and notices.
- Manage the UWOFA website including ensuring full cross-platform functionality, design, and content.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of communication and engagement strategies and campaigns and provide insights and recommendations to the UWOFA Executive.
- Maintain member’s lists and other lists pertinent to UWOFA communications and engagements through Mobilis or other designated tools that ensure efficiency and accuracy.
- May observe collective bargaining for the purpose of understanding key issues and collaborating with negotiating committee to develop bargaining support materials for internal and external audiences.
- Carry out other duties to bring to fruition comprehensive communication and engagement strategies and campaigns; as well as other duties that may be assigned from time to time as the needs or circumstances of UWOFA change.
C. REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, SKILL AND EFFORT KNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE
- A University degree in a related field.
- Minimum of 3 years relevant experience in the labour movement (or a comparable combination of education and experience).
- In-depth knowledge of unions and collective bargaining issues an asset, including demonstrated understanding of internal member organizing and campaign coordination tools and processes.
- Working knowledge of best practices related to written, digital and media communication strategies and tools required.
- Knowledge of the Ontario higher education sector an asset.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to synthesize and filter a large amount of information in a succinct and accessible manner.
- Experience with meeting facilitation and adult education principles.
- Demonstrated expertise in professional writing, including plain language, AODA compliance, web content, internal and external communications.
- Strong analytical, planning, organizational, problem-solving and time management skills.
- High level of computer literacy including experience with graphic design and web design technologies and best practices.
- Proven skills in project management and campaign development, implementation, and leadership including ability to formulate and deliver on short-term and long-term communication and organizing plans, member development and capacity building goals.
- Ability to take initiative, be self-directed and creative in developing campaigns and engagement tools.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a diverse, multi-disciplinary team in an environment subject to tight deadlines in a dynamic and changing environment.
D: WORKING CONDITIONS
The successful incumbent will work in normal office conditions with potential for Remote Work on occasion and as circumstances permit. Mobility to move around a university campus is required from time to time.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates, please submit a covering letter (including salary expectations) and a resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION, EQUITY AND ACCOMMODATIONS
UWOFA supports an inclusive safe working environment and welcomes and encourages applications from all people. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Please contact email@example.com for specific accommodation requests.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org