2020 Award Winners
1. Ed Finn Award for excellence in writing for print
Winner: Staff produced – CAUT The Long Path to Equity
Honourable mention: Staff produced – BCTF “Reconnecting with the land restores teachers’ spirits after hard emotional labour” by Nancy Knickerbocker
2. Best Photo
Staff produced - Toronto Public Library Workers (CUPE Local 4948) "Toronto Labour Day" by Robert Murdoch
Volunteer produced - MoveUP "Environment committee meeting owls" by Bruce Sarvis
3. The Freeperson Award for best cartoon, illustration or infographic
Staff produced - Unifor "See the pain behind the cuts"
Staff produced - MoveUP "Fair treatment" by Huw Evans
Volunteer produced - SCCC-UQO "Donalda Charron"
4. Morden Lazarus Prize for best editorial, column, or opinion piece that thoughtfully argues labour’s position on an issue
Winner: OPSEU Local 110 “Provincial Government and You” by Whitney Hoth
5. The Cliff Scotton Prize for narrative, video, audio or visual that reflects history, traditions and culture of the labour movement
Winner: Unifor – “Auto industry video”
Honourable mention: UFCW 1518 – “Building Worker Power: The case for organized labour today” by Diana Perez
6. The Fighting Oppression Award for a communications initiative that raises consciousness and contributes to struggles against racism, sexism, homophobia, ableism and other forms of oppression and discrimination.
Winner: PSAC – Trans inclusive workplaces
Towards Inclusion 101 (English) Vers l’inclusion 101 (French)
Towards Inclusion | Vers l’inclusion
Building Trans-Inclusive Workplaces: Bargain. Campaign. Educate (English) Etre solidaires des travailleuses et travailleurs trans : Négocier. Militer. Informer. (French)
7. Best campaign – can be produced by an ad agency
Winner: Best local campaign – volunteer produced – Unifor 1S – “Hold the line 2.0”
Winner: Best local campaign – staff or agency produced – SEIU-West – “Be fair to those who care”
Winner: Best provincial or national campaign – CUPW – Justice for Foodora Couriers
11. Best short video, made for TV broadcast or online distribution.
Winner: Toronto Public Library Workers (CUPE Local 4948) – “Staffless libraries”
12. Best narrative video, or video series documentary
Winner: Unifor – “Unifor National Solidarity Video”
14. Best hard copy promotional material
Hospital Employees' Union - "Red Dress Pin"
Honourable Mention: UFCW 1518 – Organizing booklet
16. Best Poster
Staff produced - CUPW - National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women
Volunteer produced - CUPE Local 3906 - Free Menstrual Cups
17. Best membership mobilization material
Winner: USW Local 1998 – Sustainable and reusable cutlery
21. Best MemeWinner: Winner: MoveUP – Happy Pi Day
22. Best use of social media by a union
Winner (staff produced): Hospital Employees Union
Winner (volunteer produced): Unifor Local 594